The new PowerCell 10SE Mk III is the 2nd revision to the PowerCell in five years and it came as somewhat of a surprise to our lead designer after discovering a better way to construct the ground plane in his EM cell while engineering the Tranquility Base in late 2011.
First a little history; our lead designer Ted Denney envisioned the Active EM cell after studying hydrogen fuel cells in 2006 and regards it as his single greatest achievement. The prototype PowerCell was unveiled at RMAF 2007 in a plywood chassis where it won the prestigious PFO Audio Oasis Award and went on sale in early 2008 as the PowerCell 6, 10 and 10SE. After two years Ted completed the Galileo Research Program in late 2009 to develop the Galileo System, the world’s highest performance interconnects and speaker cables along with a spin off technology, Galileo Universal Cable Cells all based on his now patented EM Cell technology. During the Galileo Research program Ted discovered several ways to improve his original EM cell and the PowerCell 10SE Mk II was released one year later in late 2010.
Never one to rest on past achievements Ted began work to elevate the performance of computer based audio by attacking its Achilles heel - a PC and Mac’s noisy power supplies and circuits. This led to the development of a special EM cell that conditions signal while still in a component and our Tranquility basik, Base and Base XL were born. Along the way Ted significantly increased the performance of the ground plane in his EM cell and it was later found to be a dramatic upgrade to our PowerCell 10SE as well as Gaileo PowerCell which presented a dilemma. Should we continue to build the PowerCell 10SE Mk II and Galileo PowerCell for another year knowing we can improve performance or roll out new versions with much higher performance? In the end we decided to launch new models in honor of our 20th anniversary knowing that we are only competing with ourselves. In other words our customers with Mk I and Mk II versions still have world class power conditioners capable of beating all comers while new PowerCell customers get the very highest performance SR technologies allow.
The PowerCell 10SE Mk III’s new ground plane developed during our Tranquility Base Research Program delivers a significant increase in air in a larger sound field when compared to Mk I and Mk II versions. Low frequencies are also tighter with more apparent punch and control. But perhaps most startling is the Mk III’s noise floor which is as close to black as anything we can imagine. From near zero you hear subtle details and micro transients that make your recordings sound almost alive. The new PowerCell 10SE Mk III is not just a revision, it’s a game changer.
Active EM Cell Technology Timeline
- November 2006. Ted begins studying Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- August 2007. Ted makes the connection between dissimilar EM fields as a means of conditioning signal (AC) while reflecting on Hydrogen Fuel Cell topology
- September 2007. Three successive prototypes of Ted’s original concept are fabricated under his watchful eye using modest plywood as a fast way to prototype new cells and a final prototype is born
- October 2007. The third prototype plywood PowerCell is unveiled at RMAF hidden under a terry cloth bath towel to conceal its modest chassis where it is awarded the prestigious POF Audio Oasis Award 2007
- March 2008. The first PowerCell’s are delivered to domestic SR dealers
- April 2008. The first 200+ volt PowerCell’s are delivered to SR international distributors
- January 2009. The Galileo Research Program is launched to discover ways of adapting our EM Cell technology to interconnects and speaker cables
- October 2009. The Galileo System interconnects and speakers are unveiled at RMAF in Denver
- December 2009. The Absolute Sound honors the original PowerCell 10SE as their 2009 Power Conditioner of the Year
- January 2010. Galileo Universal interconnect and speaker cells, a direct trickle down technology from the Galileo System cables are unveiled at CES in Las Vegas
- October 2010. The PowerCell 10SE Mk II and PowerCell 4 with direct trickle down technology from our Galileo Research program are launched at RMAF in Denver
- December 2010. The Absolute Sound honors the Galileo System Interconnect and Speaker Cable as their 2010 Cable of the Year
- Janurary 2011. A limited edition Galileo PowerCell with direct trickle down technology from our Galileo Research Program is launched at CES in Vegas
- Augest 2011. The Tranquility Base Research Program begins as a means of conditioning signal while still in a component
- January 2012. Tranquility basik, Base and Base XL are unveiled at CES along with a new PowerCell 10SE Mk III with trickle down technology from the Tranquility Base Research Program